Mercantile Licenses

All businesses in the City of Long Beach are required to obtain a Mercantile License.

Licenses are valid from December 1st - November 30th.

Please contact the Office of the City Clerk at (516) 431-1002 for specific license fees and requirements.



Along with the Mercantile Application, we require the following documentation:


Step 1: Building Department (City Hall, 3rd Floor, Room 304)

The applicant needs to file either a “Use Permit” or “Change of Use Permit”

Use Permit: This form is required when the use of the property is the same as the previous occupant; i.e. restaurant to restaurant, in order to update the occupant information.

  • All information must be completed and the record owner of the building must sign the form.
  • The Use Permit Fee is $100.00.


Change of Use Permit and Waiver of Off-Street Parking: These forms are required when the use of the property is to be changed; i.e. hair salon to restaurant, and there is no off-street parking.

  • All information on the Change of Use Permit and Waiver of Off-Street Parking (when applicable) must be completed and the record owner of the building must sign these forms.
  • The Change of Use Permit Fee is $100.00.
  • Waiver of Off-Street Parking Fee is $75.00.


  • On buildings with frontage of 20 feet or less, the Off-street Parking applications may go before the City Council twice. Once for publication and once for public hearing.
  • Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to City Council Meeting.
  • The City Council Questionnaire must be completed by the Business Owner and submitted along with the Change of Use Permit and Waiver of Off-Street Parking.


  • Applicant must be present for Public Hearing.
  • On buildings with frontage over 20 feet, it will be necessary for the applicant to go to the Zoning Board of Appeals. A denial letter will be issued by the Building Department with instructions of how to proceed. 

Step 2: The City Clerk’s Office (City Hall, 3rd Floor, Room 307)

Mercantile License Application:

  • The Mercantile License Application is a 2-sided form. Included on the application is the Corporate Information, Three Business References, Location Information, Emergency Contact Information and Square Footage. This 2-sided form must be signed by the business owner and their signature must be notarized.

(We have notaries available in City Hall. There is a $2 charge for their services.)

  • Mercantile License Fee: The Mercantile License Fee vary based on the Category and Size of the business. (Please call the office for the current fees.)

Step 3: Sanitation

  • All businesses must establish Commercial Sanitation accounts.
  • The applicant can set up a Commercial Sanitation account with the City of Long Beach, through the Comptroller’s Office (City Hall, 5th Floor, Room 503 or call 516-431-1004). Commercial Businesses on Park Avenue and West Beech Street are picked up 7days a week. The City of Long Beach Commercial Accounts are billed within the first week of the Calendar quarter and due by the first week of the following month without penalty.
  • An alternate option is using a Private Carter for your sanitation pick-up. You must provide proof of an established Private (Sanitation) Carting Contract. We will accept a copy of a current contract or recent invoice.
  • *The applicant must also check with the Comptroller’s Office and make sure all sanitation charges are paid up to date for the business location. If there are outstanding sanitation charges, these charges must be paid in full prior to the issuance of the Mercantile License.

Step 4: Fire/Merc Inspection:

  • All businesses prior to opening must have a completed and passed Fire /Merc Inspection, which is conducted by our Building Department.
  • Any open construction permits must closed and Sign Fees, if any, must be paid, prior to the issuance of the Mercantile License.
  • As per the Fire Code of NYS and the Nassau County Fire Prevention Ordinance all occupancies are required to have carbon monoxide detectors/alarms.
  • Restaurants must also submit a copy of their contract or recent invoice with a Grease Maintenance Company.
  • Passing the inspection does not qualify the business to open.

 Restaurants, Ice Cream, Tattoo Parlors, etc.

  • Nassau Department of Health Permit.
  • Nassau County Department of Health 200 County Seat Drive, Mineola, NY 11501 or call (516)-227-9697.
  • Businesses, such as Restaurants, Ice Cream and Tattoo Parlors must have filed permit applications and have the pre-occupational inspection with the Nassau County Department of Health prior to opening.

Any Business involving Alcohol:

  • New York State Liquor Authority License
  • Prior to applying to the NYS Liquor Authority, you must file a Standardized Notice Form for Providing 30-Day Advance Notice to a Local Municipality or Community Board.
  • If your business deals with the importation, manufacture, distribution or sale of alcohol in NY, you need a liquor license.
  • Please note that a FULL BAR or CABARET requires prior Zoning board approval

Businesses cannot open until the all of the above steps are complete and the Mercantile License is issued by the City Clerk’s Office.



Please Note: These forms can be filled in and printed online.

Application for Mercantile License(Fill-In Online / 2-Sided / PDF)